Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Dead Boyfriend Post


Matt loved this photo from our Durango ride in June 2015. It's a fitting shot.


Let me just cut to the chase: In the very early hours of July 8, 2016, the world famous "BF" aka "The Boyfriend" passed away very unexpectedly from a heart condition no one would ever expect he had. He was 40 years old.

I will spare you the drama...of that night, that experience, and the 8 months that have passed since.

It's been a hell of an 8 months, folks.

I'm not sure what order to arrange my thoughts in-- I've been thinking about how this post would go for months. There are a lot of people who knew Matt, a lot of peole who read my blog, and everyone deals with death differently.

I can't help but feel some responsibility to be considerate of all that.

On the other hand, I also can't help but be all like, "yup, wanna say something different, get your own blog...don't like mine? Stop reading it."

Right?

Standing on the edge of the world: Burr Trail, UT
I have no idea what happens next.

Stay Tuned.

I am 8 days from ending a 25 year career; packing up the basics of my life; selling, donating, or tossing a ton of crap that I don't need or want; and moving away.

It took a few months, but I eventually decided to take the bestie up on her standing off to rent me her tiny-house cottage in South Lake Tahoe.

I probably should have jumped at the opportunity immediately, but when your world is spinning that fast, the first thing you want to do is just hang on to the floor until it slows down.

Once I got my Zen back on and decided that since my anchor line had snapped and I was now adrift, I might as well hoist the sails, things have gotten easier for me.

It'll be a few weeks before I'm likely to get around to another post, since I have a lot of packing a moving to do, but I'll be back.

Heck-- I haven't even put up the Durango ride yet, have I?



4 comments:

  1. Don't let it be too long for the next post, Maggie. And if you're going to seriously give writing a whack, I'm seriously watching and cheering you on!

    Moedad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a lurker for a while on your Nailmag blogs as well as this one, and I am creating an account to tell you how sorry I am for all of the BS that you've had to deal with in the past 4 or so years.

    I also want to thank you for your advice as far as getting legally married if you're going to co-habitats with someone. I've been living with my BF for 4 years, and I think I may take your advice, and get married now, rather than waiting to finish school. I had a near-fatal car accident in 2015, and even though he is the only family that I have within 1500+ miles and it was HIS car that I wrecked, at the hospital, they would not give him ANY information about me, my injuries, where I was, or even if I was alive (someone posted a pic of the car while it was still rolled over on the freeway to Reddit, and based on that, one would probably think I was dead)! I lived (and have had seven reconstructive surgeries so far) and it's time to do the right thing for both of us. And, again, I'm so sorry about the passing of the BF; reading this post reminded me again that we are not guaranteed tomorrow, so we need to live life to the fullest now. Take care of yourself, and I hope to be reading more from you, especially your motorcycle stuff, since I took the same MSF class that you did back in 2005, and I'm always jealous when I read about other women who buck the unfair stereotypes about motorcycles being for men.

    Sorry this was so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I am glad you are OK for starters!

      Right after the BF's death, I heard from a lot of people who shared similar stories as yours.

      It's shocking how little legal support there is for partners who are not legally married in a day and age when it's so common for couples not to seek that kind of validation.

      There's paperwork to set everything up outside of marriage, but the easiest-- and cheapest-- thing to do is just go get hitched.

      If you're planning on doing it anyway-- sneak off to the JOP and sign the paperwork. Just in case.

      I heard and read horror stories about couples who were engaged when one of them passed away unexpectedly and the ways the surviving partner was left in the cold at the mercy of their partner's family (or horror-- ex!) because the legal system doesn't give a rat's ass if you were about to get married, they only care if you are.

      I just started updating this blog again! (The Art of Nailz is on permanent hiatus since I retired in March.)

      Probate on the BF's estate still hasn't closed, but hopefully when it does I'll have my bike again and you can look forward to new adventures from atop 2 wheels!

      Delete